Monday, January 8, 2018

Dreaded Playback

This year I am going to be working hard on a book that I am writing - (side note, it is really hard for me to even announce this because I have fears that maybe I won't be able to accomplish it. However, I have faith that it is something that the Lord wants me to do and I have confidence in Him.)

I started it last year and have already interviewed a few amazing people whose story and life is so inspiring that I get goose bumps even thinking about them. As I was listening to the recording of the interview that I did for Hillary Abplanalp there was a moment when I had to turn off the tape, hang my head down, and cringe. Sometimes I say things that I wish I could take back. I guess that is why I am so imperfect.

Here I was advising an experienced and talented musician about her daughters music career. Me, a completely tone def and untalented in music in every way person. The fact that I have that on tape is horrid and I am so sorry that I even did that. The only excuse that I can give is that it was only the second interview that I have ever done for writing and I was incredibly nervous.

I was so nervous to talk to someone that I have never even met. At times I wished that I could be doing the interview in person because there is no great way to communicate your thoughts and emotions to someone who is willingly telling their very personal story to you over the phone. I was writing notes the whole time, listening, and recording. I was very attentive, but very busy.

The truth is that as a youth I was so afraid to call people on the phone that I avoided it at all costs. Even now, I talk myself out of calling people all the time. They will be busy, they won't be able to talk, etc. However, I know this is a weakness that I need to overcome and so I am working on it.

The story of how I even was able to have that conversation with Hillary is amazing. I was one of millions of people who watched "America's Got Talent" over the summer and truly hoped to see Evie Clair win and for her father to survive his cancer diagnosis. The strength that Evie Clair showed was amazing and inspiring. The whole family is amazing really. I was so impressed and when I found out that they were member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that actually brought me some joy. Joy because when he did pass away, I knew that they knew it was not the end. Amos's spirit is still alive and they will see him again.

I sent a Facebook message to Hillary not even knowing if she would receive it or if she would respond asking her if she would be willing to be a part of a book that I am working on. I know I was inspired about what to write. I prayed so hard and have continued to pray for guidance. Hillary's response was quick and we were able to do the interview over the phone a few weeks from that initial message. I am so grateful for Hillary taking a chance on a relative novice to the book writing world.

Over the next year I will attempt to keep my family and friends in the loop on the book writing process and hopefully have a publisher for my book. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement. It is needed and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment