Tuesday, May 15, 2018

A Love Letter To Exercise

 Dear Exercise,
Thank you for saving my sanity. When my daughters were younger and I watched other young kids in my home I struggled to stay sane. My days were endlessly filled with the same tasks over and over again. The repeat of diapers, crying kids, and constant battles of what to stay away from never ended. It was all bearable when my feet started to pound the pavement, though. Even as I urged the stroller forward with the wind attempting to stop my progress, you motivated me to continue on. You gave me some happy endorphins. I wanted to run away, but instead running half marathons gave me a goal that kept me home and happy.
 Now that my daughters are older and the house is way too quiet during the day, you still save me. When I go to the gym and strap my shoes into the spin bike pedals and feel the energy of those around me I am home again. Once again I know you are going to challenge me and that you will give me those happy endorphins. The loneliness and doubts of my worth that creep into my mind during those quiet moments melt away as the sweat pours down my face. You remind me that I can do hard things.
Exercise, you have come in many forms over the years. Each one has blessed me during different times in different ways. As a youth, you helped me connect to my family and friends while I swam, rode bikes, and ran with my siblings and our dogs. I still smile at the thought of splashing through puddles on my bike or our basset hounds little legs struggling to keep up while I ran. As a young wife, you helped me to lose weight and feel better about myself. You were there for me after I struggled to deal with my daughter’s birth, with the continued fertility problems, and with a husband joining the military.
You helped me connect with so many ladies at Fort Knox and provided me with friends that will last a lifetime. Their efforts to push their bodies to the limit as our children played on the playground around us inspired me. In Pennsylvania you gave me Tera; our runs together struggling to conquer the hills are treasured memories. In Georgia, LaFae and I ran through the trees around the lake sharing a common goal. The goal of completing a marathon got us both through the difficulties of that year, and helped us grow closer together. Even though neither one of us was able to complete that marathon.
Everywhere I move you have been there for me. At times you may leave me tired and sore, but that reminds me of the blessing of my body. Each muscle and bone is connected and serves a purpose. Those tired muscles you produce teach me to try new things like Yoga and water aerobics.  These things help to decrease the soreness in my body and improve my thought processes.
Sometimes I forget how much you mean to me and I don’t exercise for a day or two. I feel tired, lethargic, and sad without you. My mind wonders what is different and then I remember you. I always end up missing you and find my way back. I know I am happier when I am with you, and you are always there for me.
Thank you for saving me from the depression that is always bubbling under the surface. I am eternally grateful and I love you.
Yours forever,

Jennifer Autry 

(This was an assignment from my English Pathways class. It was a fun writing experience.)

I am curious; if you wrote a love letter to something, what would you write to? 

1 comment: