Monday, April 13, 2015

Deleting the cookies

The steam was rising up from the shower when I walked in to talk to my husband.  I was overwhelmed, confused, and could not digest the onslaught of thoughts going on in my head.  Being an extrovert I needed to talk about it and so I started to talk to him.  There was a look of bewilderment on my face and confusion on his as to why I was interrupting his shower.  After I talked to him about some of what I was thinking about and needing to do, I asked him what I should do.

His response was his typical creatively worded answer, "You just need to delete the cookies."  

For some who may not know what cookies are, no I am not talking about those delicious morsels of sugary goodness that I love.  Instead the cookies I am talking about are temporary files, folders, downloads, and other stuff that can take up memory and space on your computer.  If they take up too much space, your computer will begin to slow down and eventually quit working all together.  It is necessary to periodically delete them to keep your computer at optimal health.

John was right again (it happens I guess).  I had so much going on in my head that I was slowing down and almost reaching the point that I can no longer function.  My cookies were emotional feelings, stress about our house selling, hating to miss book club, trying to figure out what to do to take care of a sick kid, keeping food in the house, feeding the family, taking care of the bills, trying not to scream at my complaining preteen who wants nothing more than to play with friends, trying to adjust to the fact that my daughters birthday was not going to be the fun shopping trip I had planned because she was sick, and so much more.  There is only so much my brain can handle.  Frankly it already has a slow processor.

I digest things so slow.  It is frustrating when late at night I finally figure out that something I said could have been construed as hurtful or two days later when I come up with a good come back for my little brothers tease.  My brain holds everything in it and sometimes I just don't have any more space.  It becomes overloaded and every part of me suffers when that happens.  It is harder to control my emotions, my negative self talk goes up, depression starts, the kids get yelled at, my husband is the worst husband ever (at least that is what I think at the moment), and so on.

Kind of like this bubble game my kids play.  When they try to pop the wrong bubble another one appears.  If they keep picking wrong bubbles, the bubbles get faster and increase in number.  Finally the screen is filled with bubbles and the game is lost.  So, how do I digest everything and know what bubble to pop first.  That is what I am trying to learn.  I know that writing a blog or in my personal journal helps a lot. A good cry, hitting the punching bag, and a deep heartfelt prayer to my Heavenly Father also helps me.  What helps you delete your cookies?


1 comment:

  1. Good stuff! We miss having you in our neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete