Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The heart wants what it wants

Do you ever have one of those moments where you are just so embarrassed that you are doing what you are doing, but you do it anyways?  I did.  Just a few weeks ago, I stood in front of a woman that I barely knew embarrassing myself to no end.  Yet I didn't stop.  Amazingly enough this wonderful and talented person shares a first name with me.  The other Jennifer has a beautiful singing voice and I am in awe of it really.  Over a year ago I heard her singing "Do you want build a snowman" to her daughter when she picked her up from watch care.  I thought of how lucky her daughter was and then picked my daughter up with a shrug knowing she would never get any awe inspiring song from her mother.

So how did I embarrass myself.  Well I talked about a new Selena Gomez song of course.  I told the other Jennifer that she needed to redo the video because I wanted a different set of visuals for the song.  You may all roll your eyes now because I rolled my eyes when I first started liking the song, "The heart wants what it wants".  Why would a thirty something happily married woman like this song you may wonder?  I really do love this song. Well I had to do some deep soul searching to figure out why.  Watching the video on YouTube did nothing to help me in my quest to discover my true feelings for the song.  It seems to tell Selena Gomez's woes with man trouble.  The beginning is particularly heart wrenching.  However, I do not share her current predicament.

On my way to meet up with a bunch of military spouses, I heard the song again and it was as if a light bulb in my head clicked and I finally understood why I could relate and like the song. The line in the chorus: "The bed's getting cold and you're not here" is really the crux of my liking the song.  That is one sentence all  military spouses can relate to.  Our spouse can be gone for a day, week, month, or even year.  Often our bed is cold.

So there I stood almost begging this beautiful woman to be my friend and do a new video for the this song where it focuses on military spouses.  I can picture the intro in my head:  the wife is standing there in her best clothes hugging her husband who is dressed in his deployment camo uniform.  They are holding on tight and then gradually let go of each other inch by inch until only their fingers are touching.  Then he goes off to join the ranks of soldiers and the tears slide down her face.  "You got me sippin' on something I can't compare to nothing I've ever known, I'm hoping that after this fever I'll survive...."  The words of the song fit perfectly to the moment a woman has to say good-bye to her husband for a deployment.  Then during the chorus you see her in bed by herself looking at a picture of her husband followed by a clip of him out in harms way fighting a battle. "The bed's getting cold and you're not here the future that we hold is so unclear But I'm not alive until you call and I'll bet the odds against it all"

Hopefully now you are getting the picture.  I love how Selena Gomez's song fits perfectly to a military spouse dealing with deployment...."The heart wants what it wants."  Now I just need to find someone to do the video who maybe might not think I am crazy.  I know I can not pull it off with my tone deaf singing voice.

1 comment:

  1. It's a great idea Jenn! Totally works with the lyrics!

    ReplyDelete